Christmas Village Series: Church

Christmas Village Series: Church
Purchase Personal Liscense Purchase Commercial Liscense

This week I will be illustrating parts to a (modernee-Katieee style) Christmas village. I love illustrating buildings, so I knew this would be a perfect fit when one of our commenters (Liz) suggested it. I thought there was no better way to start the series than with a church. I see it as kind of the center of any Christmas village. If the true reason for the season is the birth of the Christ child, then His church should be the most important building in Christmas Towne.

Influenced by tudor, mid-century modern, and Frank Lloyd Wright architecture, this church encapsulates a little from each. When I was a young girl, my family attended a church that was a beautiful A-frame building that I would guess was built in the 50s. To me, there is just something so beautiful about an A-frame church. So though I knew I’d include various layers on the building, I wanted its main portion to be A-frame.

As I studied Christmas villages, I came to the conclusion that they need to be set during the night. This creates the warmest feeling for the buildings—as they will be lit up, and glowing from the inside out. The building is warm and inviting in the cold night air. Exactly as it should be.

From the outside, we see a large dazzling Christmas tree through the window. It must be illuminating the space inside. Makes me want to see it from inside. The size itself would make it a sight to be seen. The cross on top of the church is illuminated, pointing out that it is a church—and the central theme of church and Christmas (what Jesus did for us). I considered putting a manger scene outside the building, but I will concentrate on the manger scene next week (can’t wait!).

So here’s my question for you today: what other buildings would you like to see in the village this week? I have a couple in mind, but nothing set in stone… and definitely not the next five figured out yet. Please do tell!

16 Comments to “Christmas Village Series: Church”

• Jocelyn says:

What about a candy store or a train station? Maybe city hall?

• LauraC says:

A toy store!!

• Heather says:

Ooh! I love Christmas villages! Here’s what comes to mind right away: A department store (I always think of the big Macy’s); fire station; town/city hall type building; train station; post office; santa’s workshop; an Inn. Can’t wait to see what you do! :)

• Teresa says:

I’d love to see a toy store too and some sort of gathering place like a town square (with a Christmas tree and ice rink?) and maybe a few stores with decorated Christmas-themed windows to gaze in? :) This series is going to be so cool- thank you!

• louise says:

I am already loving this series! As an architect, I can’t wait to see what else you come up with. This year, our little one is loving the lights. Every night we pack up and drive around looking at the homes with the all the lights on. Some are a bit gaudy… Some are subdued… But the twinkling spirit of the season is getting us this year! I also love the post office idea. toy store is good too!

• Maggie says:

A pharmacy (or drugstore or apothecary shoppe)! I’m a pharmacist, and have several in my family, so I may be biased…:).

My husband is a police officer, so I’ll also suggest a police station, although a firehouse may be more fun to draw!

• Cerise says:

I think this is my favorite so far! So beautiful!! I used to love going into NYC when I was little to look at the amazing displays in department store windows. City Halls seem to always be done up beautifully too and of course toy stores!!

• Maggie says:

Oh, I have to add my hubby’s suggestion of a bakery!

• Erika says:

Gorgeous!! Some ideas: a bed & breakfast or bakery. Toy shop would be really cute as well :)

• Verena says:

A biscuit/cake/gingerbread shop!
    Think gingerbread house :) :)

• *kate says:

I love it! I think a cozy, snow-covered house would be lovely.

• Jennifer says:

Toy store, candy store, post office. Very Christmasy!

• Holly says:

Oooh, this is my favorite so far! Oops…so busy and forgot to download it! Might have to make a purchase.

I just wanted to thank you so much for sharing your talent with us all. I’m wondering if I mentioned to you in a comment that I featured you on my blog. If not, I sure meant to. I noticed you mentioned my blog as doing so. Thanks so much for doing that. I meant to comment and let you know, but now I’m wondering if I did! :) Anyhow, just wanted to thank you again for your generosity!

Also love that you are giving part of the proceeds to Compassion International. So awesome.

Blessings to you and your family!
    Holly

• Katie Moon says:

I don’t think you mention it, just turned up in a Google search :) Thanks for the mention! And your blog is adorable! Love the advent calendar idea you shared a few days ago!